Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Good for the soul.

I went on a bike ride tonight. I rode really fast. Too fast; my sister told me to slow down. It felt really good. We received a lot of rain today so the night was very cool (75 degrees F). Speaking of rain, it really bothers me when people call it 'moisture.' Why can't they say rain? 'Moisture' is a gross word. It has negative connotations. Makes me think of sweat. Or bacteria growing somewhere it shouldn't. Ew. Just say rain. Please. It's a perfectly good word.

Also, my sister, Michelle, attended a rooftop concert last weekend where The Lower Lights performed. She loved it. And told me I would have loved it. I looked them up today, and she was right. I can only find four of their songs online and believe me, I have listened to them a lot. Sadly, when I just tried to purchase the album, something messed up and it wouldn't let me put in my credit card number... so I am stuck until I try again tomorrow and hopefully it works! I showed my mom a song and she used the word 'hokey' to describe them. I would say they have a pleasant twang. It's definitely not overly twangy or annoying. It's just wonderful. I like them.

In my little brother's English class, they have to choose a book each quarter to read and then at the end of the quarter, they write an in-class essay about the book they read. All of the books are from a college-prep list the teacher got and there are a lot of really good classics on it. When I was in the class, a couple of the books I read were A Tale of Two Cities and Jane Eyre. He chose To Kill a Mockingbird. The in-class essay was today, so of course, he didn't get the book until a week ago today (remember when I went to Bookman's with Julia at 9:30? the real reason was to get the book for Bryan). And, of course, he didn't really start reading it until Saturday. What ended up happening was my mom read it aloud to us children pretty much all day yesterday, in between sessions of General Conference and through the evening until we finally finished at 1:30 am. I love that book! And Harper Lee is one great writer. It's just so powerful and emotional. It makes me so mad that people really treat other people that way. I hate prejudices.
But I love Atticus. He is such a great parent and person in general. And I love that Gregory Peck plays him in the movie. I want to be like him (Atticus, not Gregory) when I grow up. And like Miss Maud. And Scout. She is hot headed and proud, but she is really smart. And she knows a lot about people. It's a great book. And I love reading books aloud. Michelle and I read aloud to each other when I lived in Utah. That was so great.

Ok, I need to go to bed. I am babysitting the niece and nephew in the early morning!

P.S.
1. I am really excited to meet Walt Disney in heaven.
2. I am never taking Excedrin again. ever.

3 comments:

  1. THANK YOU! I've always said the same thing about the word "moisture". I cringe every time someone uses it in a prayer....I'm always thinking "Why don't you just say rain? Or water?". I don't want to feel damp and bacteria ridden...I have a very funny but not "open blog" appropriate story for you....so ask me about it when I see you again in the next ten years....
    And I'm lovin' The Lower Lights...I want to stomp my feet and clap my hands...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Rachel,

    I attended that rooftop concert and I love the lower lights. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahahahahhahahaha.

    i have a spiderman bandaid on my finger.
    i am in the library right now and "kids" just came on my pandora, and it is taking ALL my self control to not jump up and dance.
    i can't waaaaait for you to cumma play one last time.
    we have weird taste in music.

    love you,
    bye.

    ReplyDelete