Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Turning into a "Gloucester-ite"

Email Dated February 22. 2011

They really refer to themselves like that. These people are so crazy. haha but I love them.

Happy President's Day yesterday! I just love holidays. BUT. I do not like that it closes the post offices and the libraries. It's ok though. I'm sure we all survived. Wow. So many holidays have fallen on Mondays this year. Valentines, MLK Day and now Pres day. That's cool.

......Anyway, Hope you're all doing well! Oh, before I forget -you probably already figured it out, but- I am staying here in Gloucester! And I'm NOT training! Hooray! Sister Ward is going to Poquoson to shotgun and train! They are taking the elders out and putting her in! She is going to be so good over there! We'll still be in the same zone, so we'll see each other semi-often. I'm sad to see her go. But I think it will help me be more independent/ dependent in another way.... My new companion is coming from VA Beach area, Salem. And her name is Sister Hartly. And she's from Canada! So that's cool, eh? :) jk.

This week was good. The Stewards have rescheduled their baptism to be March 13th. I think that will work this time. They are going to get all caught up on their homework and we can teach them and they can come to church a few more times and then they'll be baptized! It's going to be great! B Steward spoke in church this past Sunday. He was SO nervous! But he did a wonderful job! I am just so happy for them. And last night when we stopped by so S Ward could say goodbye he asked if he could give her a hug. Cute. She didn't hug him, of course. In case you were wondering.

Donna and Rob are doing well. They didn't come to church on Sunday because there were some fires around the peninsula and they were worried about their friends so they drove around all day checking up on their friends who lived in those areas and I called her last night and she asked if all of the church members were ok and if any of their houses burned. She loves everyone so much. It's so great. We went by on Friday to have lunch with Donna and she asked how long people usually wait until they are baptized. hahaha It was wonderful. We helped her hem one of her dresses so she could wear it to church. They are going to be just great. I am so excited for them.

My exchange with S Brown was great! We had a lot of fun together. She is going down to Norfolk to train now. But, our exchange was good. We went and saw a lot of people and I learned a lot from her. I just need to be more confident. But I don't know why, people just really like talking over me. Why is that? I don't know... I'm just not very good at driving the bus.

I'm just a little bit worried for S Ward to leave. She has been here for so long and knows everyone- mostly. And Everyone loves her. And they all just laugh at me... haha It's true. You would be surprised. haha I think the ward will need to go through a little adjustment period, but then hopefully it will be really good. And S Hartly and I will be able to work this area and help them a lot. Thanks for all of the suggestions and stuff. The First Presidency actually asked all of the mission presidents to have all of us missionaries to get onto mormon.org every week to get familiar with everything on it. And so we'll be able to use it now with members and nonmembers. And we are trying to start a new scripture reading program. So the ward can read the Book of Mormon this year. That will be starting soon. I think it will help everyone. We split the Book of Mormon up into four sections and we want to have a little fireside or Sacrament meeting program after each section. One: at the end of 2 Nephi on the Gospel of Jesus Christ, then: in the middle of Alma about missionary work, then: at the end of 3 Nephi on the Savior, and the last one at the end when everyone should be finishing the Book of Mormon and have the fireside be on the Promise and have everyone pray and the truthfulness of the book and have a spiritual experience. Cool huh? Sister Ward and I were really excited about it. It was really inspired. As we were planning everything out. It just flowed. So that will start soon. Hopefully.

All of the missionaries I've talked to and when President told me Sister Hartly was coming, they all said we would have a lot of fun together. Those exact words. I'm excited! I'm excited to have fun. I don't know who is going to be the senior companion. But I REALLY hope it's me so that I can drive. I loved driving during our exchanges last week. I loved it!! And it helped me stay awake during the day. hahaha It's hard when you drive 20 minutes in between appointments! I just get really tired riding around in the car. So, hopefully I'll be driving.

Dr. Seuss's birthday is coming up. SO, please celebrate.

I hope you all know how much I love you. I really really do. And I think about you all everyday. Which sometimes makes me feel guilty because I'm a missionary, and sometimes it makes me sad because I miss you... haha just kidding, it's ok. Not too distracting. Usually it makes me feel good. Because I love you all so much. I am just so grateful for wonderful family and friends. I love telling people about my family. I will tell everyone that will listen. You are all da best. Keep moving forward!

KATE: will you please look up that quote from Walt Disney and send it to me? From Meet the Robinsons.

Have a great week!
Love Sister R Barney

No comments:

Post a Comment