Tuesday, March 1, 2011

"Glah-ster"

That is how you pronounce it. (In case you were wondering.)

And sorry I didn't tell you my new address:
6869 Enfield Rd.
Gloucester VA 23061


Well, family, this week was good. haha

I have a few things to tell you:
Most importantly, we all need to mourn for my camera. It was dropped (NOT by me) and now the lens won't go back in and it won't really turn on. We tried unscrewing it last night but we don't have a small enough screw driver. We are going to look for a glasses repair kit at Walmart today and hopefully that will work-- we're hoping that we can just unscrew it a little and move it back into realignment) Pray for my dear camera.

Next, the water here smells really bad. It has sulfur in it. =rotten eggs. Yep. We can't drink it. But we have to shower in it.... and wash our clothes in it... and our dishes.... Yep. Thankfully, our mission leader gives us some clean water every week. And S Ward says I'll get used to the smell... but I don't know if I like the sound of that.

Also, someone told us the other day that some very very bad people are getting all of the patents on seeds. And that farmers can't keep seeds, they have to buy them every year. And now they are trying to get a patent on pigs. And next will probably be cows or something. So that they can eventually control ALL of our food. That is really scary. And we need to stop that from happening. I don't know how... and I'm on a mission... so it's up to you. Go on!!

Ok, down to business-- well news.

I spoke in Sacrament meeting yesterday. He asked me on like Thursday night. haha But I was happy to speak! I love giving talks. I always have.I spoke on Missionary work (surprise) and the scripture Doctrine and Covenants 11:21. I focused a lot on personal, daily study of the scriptures so that we can obtain the word. Because a lot of people here do not read their scriptures often. And it's just so important! I think it went pretty well. I was a little nervous because I wanted to be bold, but not offend anyone. S Ward says she doesn't think I offended anyone. So that's good.

We are still teaching Sidnie. I LOVE that family. The Stewards. The boys got sick this week, but we taught the parents on Thursday or Friday and then we went back last night to teach everyone. They are just all doing so well! And Brother Steward ALWAYS asks me to say a pray because he likes the way I pray. haha He's a funny guy. But I just really love all of them. Sidnie and Greg are going to get baptized on Feb 13th, the same day as Jeanie!! It's going to be a good day.

We are working with a less active, her name is Anne Des Moines. She is a really talented knitter! She spins and dies her own yarn and makes replicas of Renaissance clothes. She is really good. I really want her to make me a sweater or some tights or something, but I don't think she likes me enough. haha I'll keep working at it. She's a nice lady though. She lives with her mom who is not a member. And we go over ever Tuesday and eat lunch with both of them and then when we get to the lesson part, her mom, Juanita, goes back to her room to listen to the lesson. She never sits in, but she admits that she listens to our lessons. haha She'll come around one day. And Anne told us that she is leaving her large print Book of Mormon out so that her mom can read it. haha

That's about it for the exciting stuff. We've been tracted, but all of the houses are so spread out that it isn't very effective. And no one is really interested here. Well, we just haven't found them. They are all set in their ways. But there are those out there searching. And we will keep looking for them. And we will find them someday.

We are going to Williamsburg as a district in a couple of weeks!! I am SO excited, of course. It is going to be so good. And they are planning a sisters meeting/ P-day on Valentines day, so I'm really excited for that too! I'll be able to see S Dickson again before she leaves!

Well fam, I love you. And hope you are doing well! I pray for all of you. And try not to think of you too much. haha In a good way. I love the Book of Mormon, and the Atonement. I love our Savior. And I love YOU! Have a great week!

Love Sister Rachel Barney

No comments:

Post a Comment