Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The Church is true.

Email Dated February 7. 2011


Hiiiiloow.
 
I was thinking about it, and I don't even know who all reads these. The numbers have probably dwindled since this week will be 3 months for me!!! Can you believe it? I can't.  But, whoever you are out there, I hope you are doing well! And that you are reading your scriptures and praying everyday. I meet with people everyday who don't do that, I it's makes me so sad to know that they aren't receiving all of the blessings that our Heavenly Father wants to give them. So, if you are keep on doing it, if you're not, start and don't ever stop. The Book of Mormon is the word of God. And we truly can get closer to our Savior by reading it. And we are God's literal spirit children. And He loves us and is so happy when we turn to Him in prayer, in the name of Christ. Prayer is so powerful. Keep praying.
 
Well, now that that is taken care of, this week has been crazy. Supa crazy. I do appreciate your package that you sent, dear family, ESCPECIALLY the puzzle!! And the rubber bands, thank you, Kate! I proudly have a braid in my hair at this very minute. And thanks for my jeans. I love them. I put them on the other night... ahhh. Wonderful. Thanks thanks thanks. And then I had my interview with President Perry on Wednesday evening. It was great. I love Pres. Perry. And I'm SO grateful that I do. haha But he said we're doing good here in Gloucester, and I said "Really??" haha I guess there has been some progress with the ward, but it is slow.
 
But we had Stake Conference this weekend and so that evening, Saturday we went to the Adult Session and Pres and Sis Perry bore their testimonies and Pres made me cry. He was talking about our missionaries and how they have so much to deal with out here, away from home. We have a lot of missionaries that have or had a lot of serious health problems. And one of our elders just found out his dad died last week, and he said he was thinking about why we serve through these trials. And how we keep going. And he read the words to "Where Can I Turn For Peace":
 
Where can I turn for peace? Where is my solace,
When others sources cease to make me whole?
Where with a wounded hear, anger, or malice,
I draw myself apart, Searching my soul?
 
Where, when my aching grows, Where, when I languish,
Where, in my need to know, where can I run?
Where is the quiet hand to calm my anguish?
Who, who can understand? He, only One.
 
He answer privately, Reaches my reaching,
In my Gethsamane, Savior and Friend.
Gentle the peace he finds for my beseeching.
Constant he is and kind, Love without end.
 
The Savior loves us so much. And through the Atonement, He knows us so well and he knows exactly what we are feeling. And He is the source of my peace and comfort. One of my favorite scriptures is John 14:26-27 "And the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name. He shall show you all things and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever you have heard my say. Peace I leave with you. My peace I give unto you. Not as the world giveth give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid." (that was just from memory...so i'm sorry if there are mistakes.)
But it's true. Through the Holy Spirit, which is one of the great blessings we receive when we are baptized, we can be given peace from our Savior. I have just felt so much love from Him this week/weekend.
I'm sorry this has turned into a very preachy email, but I just want you all to know that I have been thinking about and praying for you. And I love you all and I know that our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ love you. All of you. Individaully. That has been something that has definietely been impressed upon me over and over again on my mission, that Heavenly Father know us all by our first names and loves and cares about us. That is why it's so important to be living according to His commandments and praying to Him. There has been a HUGE focus on emergency preparedness here in Gloucester recently, and we keep hearing little tidbits about Egypt and other terrible things going on in the world, and I just know that it is so important that we are prepared. Physically AND sprititually. And I think to be spiritually prepared is more important. We need to be ready. And we need to be doing those things (reading, praying, going to church...) so that we are ready every day.
 
Ok, I think that is enough of that. Just know that I love all of you. And that I miss you, but I'm SO glad I'm on a mission. :)
 
I ran out of time to tell you about Dexter last week. Dexter works at the post office right next to the library. And last week, after emailing, we went to the post office so we could mail something. And Dexter helped me figure out what would be most cost effective and everything. (I was mailing my camera). I didn't have any bubble wrap with me and he said I could buy some, for three dollars! And I just thought that was a lot, but I got it anyway. SO, while I was getting the package together, he was helping other customers and he was just SO nice! You could tell he sincerely wanted to help these people out as much as he could and help them to have a good day. Sister Ward bought some stamps and while she was doing that I told him I just thought he was so nice! And he said, "Well I got you ladies to thank for that! I was having a bad day before you two came in and then I saw Jesus Christ on your nametags and you turned my day right around!" Isn't that so wonderful? So, when I was done he rang me up and we were leaving and I realized I hadn't paid for my bubble wrap! So we got back in line and waited and when it was my turn, he said you're back! And I told him I forgot to pay for the bubble wrap, and he said, "No you didn't." And I said, "Dexter, I need to pay for this bubble wrap." And he said, "No, it is a blessing. You blessed my day, and I will pay for the bubble wrap. You really turned my day around and I am really grateful." And then I almost started crying, because he was just SO nice! And so I said thank you and I gave him a pass along card and told him he would love mormon.org and left, smiling. :) It was wonderful.
 
Wow. I don't know if any of you will read all of this... Well, you should. Because it's good.
This week was good. Long. But good. I think I'll be ok here in Gloucester. Even if they frustrate me sometimes. I just don't really know why Heavenly Father wants me here. But I am trying to figure it out. And I'm trying to work hard and not get sick. EVERYONE here has the flu or strep. It's ridiculous.
 
Well, write me an email and/or a letter. I would love to hear from you. Have a wonderful week! I'm going to Williamsburg today! And we're getting in for 10 bucks! Can you believe it? The Williamsburg elders have got connections. :) S Ward is letting me use her camera, so I'll send pictures next week. I love you!!
 
Love Sister Rachel Barney

No comments:

Post a Comment