Monday, June 7, 2010

the wildlife of provo.


Ok. Something super crazy just happened! Missy, Hannah and I were outside our apartment building, laying on the grass eating guacamole at precisely 1 am. Hannah went inside to go to bed, and a few minutes later Missy went inside. I was about to go inside myself when I saw a dark shadow over by the fence out of the corner of my eye. At first I thought it was the weird, ugly cat that is around all of the time with the puff of fur on the end of its tail, but it was a lot bigger than a cat. So I sat up and saw that is was the biggest raccoon I have seen in my life! And it was less than twenty feet away from me!
I watched it walk to the end of the driveway, stop to look for cars (a very safe raccoon) and then casually cross the street. It was amazing.
How many people out there can say they have seen a raccoon in Provo?? Really? I am so happy right now. That was so cool.
And here are a few cool facts about raccoons:
-they are omnivores, eating almost anything like fish, fruit, mice, eggs, insects and human trash.
-they are nocturnal.
-females have one to seven cubs every summer.
-they can grow to weigh 4 to 23 lbs., and be about 24 to 38 inches long
-and they live to be about two or three years old

Raccoons are cool!

*thanks to animals(dot)nationalgeographic(dot)com for the picture and facts

1 comment:

  1. Yay, I am glad I found your blog! I love it and I love you!

    ReplyDelete